Windows 2000 Support

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Sunday, 27 September 2009

No more COM

Posted on 11:58 by Unknown
Years ago I wrote my process enumeration and management module. It primarily uses the NT Native API, giving it extended capabilities over the standard PSAPI or ToolHelp Windows libraries. When I designed this component, I exposed it as a COM interface. This was because I had originally planned to resell it to other developers.

Years later, I never did resell it, and have no plans to do so. Only Process Lasso uses it. Now, because its a COM control there are occasionally problems with registry cleaners or users who don't have administrative rights to install the component. Who knows why registry cleaners sometime mistakenly target its COM registration. I suspect malfunction on their part.

For a long time now I've wanted to do away with this COM interface, but the risk of an accidental mistake deterred me. I mean, after conversion full regression and memory leak testing of every functional part is required.

Well, I've finally bit the bullet and got rid of the COM interface. Technically speaking, it is a very simple transition. COM interfaces are modelled on C++ classes, making them very easy to turn back into C++ classes. In fact, they can theoretically be referenced as C++ classes as-is. However, practically speaking, some work was necessary, especially with regards to object instantiation and data-type optimization.

Yes, this means I have a lot of regression testing to do. I plan to leave this beta series in beta for some time, back-porting minor updates to the last final build as needed (parallel development, as always).

So, what end effect does this have? Well, there is a substantial reduction in memory use by both the GUI and core engine. There's also a slight reduction in CPU use. Lastly, this opens the door for Process Lasso Portable Edition.

UPDATE: To give a more specific measurement, core engine memory usage has decreased by about 1.5MB on the average computer! This means its often using less than 1MB of RAM.

Enjoy ;)
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • WARNING: Cracks for Process Lasso may modify HOSTS file
    WARNING:  Cracks for Process Lasso have been seen to modify your system HOSTS file so that you can no longer access  bitsum.com  and/or  bit...
  • Licensed user update dialog - Activation code will be automatically populated in license validation box
    Licensed User Update Dialog  - Activation code will be automatically populated in license validation box First, to be clear, the license val...
  • No more COM
    Years ago I wrote my process enumeration and management module. It primarily uses the NT Native API, giving it extended capabilities over th...
  • Process Lasso v3.65.3 beta released
    I've released the first new beta that is 100% UNICODE. I've regression tested almost all the software, though there may still be som...
  • Licensing changes ... Yes, I still call it Free. Do you?
    Starting in Process Lasso v3.50, there have been a few minor changes to the licensing. The free build has these changes: ADDED a system tray...
  • Nag annoyance reduced
    The battle to come up with a tolerable licensing system continues. I struggle with this, as I want my software to be completely free. Howeve...
  • Version 6 Goes Final
    Version 6 Goes Final as v6.0.0.58 I don't even know where to start with the changes, so I'm going to refer you to two documents. Nei...
  • Surprising Benchmarks on AMD Processors - Why the old Phenom II x6 remains a great CPU
    Surprising Benchmarks on AMD Processors The good old x6 Phenom II performs *almost* as fast as the latest unreleased generation of AMD proce...
  • Nag screen changes
    Hi my loyal Process Lasso users and friends. Yes, that's right, I've made many new friends during this project ;) I just wanted to l...
  • Code review and bug tracking continues
    This is the tedious part of pre-release work ;o. I will release a new beta though, as soon as I possibly can. Although I've got new prob...

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (1)
    • ►  March (1)
  • ►  2012 (6)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  July (1)
    • ►  June (2)
    • ►  January (2)
  • ►  2011 (166)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (12)
    • ►  July (14)
    • ►  June (17)
    • ►  May (19)
    • ►  April (13)
    • ►  March (27)
    • ►  February (31)
    • ►  January (20)
  • ►  2010 (203)
    • ►  December (23)
    • ►  November (34)
    • ►  October (38)
    • ►  September (17)
    • ►  August (19)
    • ►  July (19)
    • ►  June (11)
    • ►  May (16)
    • ►  April (8)
    • ►  March (6)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (6)
  • ▼  2009 (43)
    • ►  December (6)
    • ►  November (1)
    • ►  October (10)
    • ▼  September (3)
      • No more COM
      • Managing specific service groups running under svc...
      • Process Lasso v3.64.3 released
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (9)
    • ►  June (2)
    • ►  May (3)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (4)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile